Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oh No You Don't

On the weekend I attended a book club meeting run by a friend - as per usual we only discussed the book briefly and ended up talking about completely different things. Somehow the talk turned to health care and my friend tried to tell me that not only will Obama never pass the reforms, but that America doesn't need to change its health care policies and that it's a better system than Canada's.

But, no, I don't think that a middle class woman in her twenties gets to tell me that American health care doesn't change (especially when she suggests that if the working poor just stopped paying for cable they could easily afford insurance.)

When women are more likely to be uninsured, to e underinsured, to have difficulty accessing and paying for needed medical care and to forego needed medical care due to cost, you don't get to tell me that the American system is working.

When women tend to pay more for individual health-insurance policies, even if they don't include maternity care and the US is the only industrialized nation that doesn't guarantee paid maternity leave, you don't get to tell me that the American system is working.

When some insurers charge women as much as 50% more and employers pay more for their group health plans if their workforce is predominately women - which is called gender rating, you don't get to tell me that the American system is working.

When flexible hours are a barrier to qualifying for group insurance and when women's lesser salaries result in them being more likely to take flexible hours or part time work so that their partners can work full time to cover the family, you don't get to tell me that the American system is working.

When being a victim of domestic violence is a pre-existing condition, you don't get to tell me that the American system is working.

When half of women workers in the private sector don't have a single paid sick day and swine flu hits the US, you don't get to tell me that the American system is working.

Having lived in countries with more universal health care, I can tell you that while the Korean, Canadian and British systems aren't perfect, they do work. There is plenty of room for improvement in all of them, but they are cheaper than the American system and keep more people covered.

Let's hope Obama does manage to fix that system that is not working.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yael said...

I don't get it. How can people be against universal health care? I know the system in Israel is not perfect but everyone is covered even if not everything is covered.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

According to my friend, anyone who tried could afford health care and the American system is better for R&D and faster treatment.

!!!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home