Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hi, I’m Anaïs. I first became interested in feminism when my precocious sixteen-year-old self picked up books by Simone de Beauvoir and Anaïs Nin one lazy summer, and devoured them in the melodramatic, feverish way that sixteen-year-old wannabe intellectuals do. Not so sure if my now older and wiser self (hardeeharhar) would call Nin such a feminist these days, but alas hers was the name I chose when I first become involved in the Feminist Community of Magic, Wonder and Piratehood.

I’m a London-born nomad who has spent most of my life living in different Asian cities. My interests vary by the second, but some ideas I have stewing for blog entries are women in Asian culture; culturally-determined notions of femininity; women in academia and in the workplace more generally; imagining what equal partnerships in relationships, marriage, and parenthood would look like for women; women in literature and film; and converting all of you to the worship of my literary goddesses, Alice Munro and Louise Gluck. I love dry theories and dry humour.

Charmed to meet you, Internets. It’s good to be here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sofiya said...

Yikes! I went through the Anaïs Nin phase too. I re-read Henry&June recently, though, and found it unduly phallocentric.

The divine Simone, however, is always good fun. Did you read that volume of her memoirs in which she falls off her bike and loses a tooth, and can't find the tooth? Then a few weeks later, she develops an enormous pimple on her chin, and after suffering for a long time, breaks down and squeezes it... and the tooth comes out? As a near-professional squeezer of zits, that story charms the socks off me every time.

I'm sorry. Back to feminism. Carry on.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Anais said...

"Yikes! I went through the Anaïs Nin phase too."

But you had the good sense not to name yourself after her, darling, and that is the difference between us.

Ew, that is such a nasty story!!! I imagine this must've been in the first volume of her memoirs, Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter? That was the one I read in my sixteenth summer.... oh, what a splendid book that was. I seem to have actively blocked the missing tooth/ zit story from my memory, however.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Gyratory Circus said...

Did I ever tell you that my high school Economics teacher was married to Anais Nin's granddaughter?

9:14 AM  
Blogger Sofiya said...

Anais - no, the tooth-zit story is in the second or third volume. Simone de Beauvoir wrote a lot, a lot, a lot of memoirs.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Anais said...

I really liked The Prime of Life - I think that was the second volume?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Anais said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home